View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Cards in heat / humidity?

I sense that I'm freaking out a bit unnecessarily - but should I be worried when the AC temporarily goes out upstairs (where my modest, but beloved small collection of vintage lives in my closet...) for a few days, and temp goes up and the air feels sticky? Repair people are hopefully coming tomorrow, but this seems to keep happening to me this summer. Argh. By the way this is July in NC, and at least 90 degrees outside still now at 7 pm.

Again, I feel like I'm being silly, but my Mantle, Mays, Banks, Robinson, Koufax, Williams, Aaron and other HOF cards are now temporarily downstairs in the chilly AC. I know enough theoretically to realize that there is probably no true concern for a collection like this unless I would leave it in a steaming attic or dripping basement for months or years, but it makes me uneasy all the same. I've read some articles where people profess scientific solutions for card collections of all shapes and sizes. Some is just extreme advice, some people are trying to sell something - but it does get you to thinking.

Thoughts? I realize years after everyone in this forum is dead, our slabbed PSA cards will start to deteriorate and be worthless anyway, because of course the plastic will start to decompose and you know none of the TPG services currently use mylar sleeves like the HOF....

I digress.