View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage Basketball Pen/Pencil Box Scans Added!

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I just found what appears to be an extremely early basketball, wooden pen/pencil box at an antique store in Yankton, SD. It shows a basketball scene with a peach basket visible (it appears to be on a pole without a backboard). It shows a large image of a single player on the right (with a large ball leaving his hand) and it shows 8 smaller players near a single basket and a referee (I am guessing he is a referee as he is wearing a hat).
The box itself is in rough shape as a portion of the court scene is missing and there are three ink stains including one on the large player's face. Also, the latch is missing.
I apologize for this teaser post as I will not be able to post a scan until I return home early Friday morning. In the interim, does any one have one of these or has any one seen one? Any idea on the date of issue, manufacturer, etc.? I researched the history of basketball a little and it appears that backboards were added in the late 1890s and that rims replaced peach baskets by 1910ish. Thank you very much for any help you might be able to provide, and I promise I will post a scan as soon as I return home.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com