View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
John Michael

Volod, I honestly always enjoy your contributions to this board and think it's great that this new technology is able to help with your circumstances. My "dumbing down" commit was in no way directed at you but rather the "instant gratification" generation and it's use of google search to put together it's school work assignments. A far more thorough depth of knowledge is provided by repeatative, traditional textbook study. Educators at all levels seem to argee-- the internet in many ways is a hinderance. This Counry's steep decline in test scores in comparison to past generations and with that of students from other Leading Industrial Nations has accelerated during the internets rise in popularity.

Having lived most of my life without it, I know I can't imagine life without the internet but, it has come at a cost. Diminished magazine sections, newspapers that are a shell of their former selves, and the less personal nature of this hobby are casualties of the internet age. There is a distinct danger of internet bloggers replacing most of what's left of respectable newspaper reporting.

As for the proposed book, I am surprised to hear that despite the hobbies demographics, a high quality product can't be cost-effectively produced-- not despite of, but because of the internet. The software used in today's print industry is inexpensive and user freindly. There are numerous overseas companies that will take on such a project from start-to-finish or by printing after the software portion of the project is completed. The transaction can all be done online. The cause of the print indusries decline could also be its salvation.

Last edited by theseeker; 02-28-2012 at 03:26 PM.