Thread: April pickups
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Here are a couple of great photos that I just picked up from net54's Lance Fittro:

1) HOF Satchel Paige pitching in relief of HOF Bob Feller 1948.
Sweet image of Satch!

2) Type II photo of Johnny Vander Meer and Babe Ruth on the bench prior to Vandy's 2nd consecutive no-hitter on 6/15/38.

BTW, in addition to being a cool image, this photo provided a photo match to the dugout featured in the William C. Greene Type I photo that net54's Graig Kreindler painted for me in 2012. The splintered board pictured just to the right of Vandy's head in the Vandy/ Babe photo is an exact photo match to the board to the left of Vandy in the William C. Green photo. Mystery solved, my painting is of Vandy in the Ebbets Field visitor dugout.

I'm pretty certain now that this photo was taken on 6/17/38, two days after the second no-hitter. I believe that Greene actually shot the photo of Vandy w/ Babe as well.
Dang it, if I had known that photo closed the loop on your Kreindler painting locale mystery, I could have squeezed you for a few more bucks!

Just kidding! Glad to have found an appreciative new home for those guys, and especially now knowing you're feeling the gratification of a solved mystery. I know you'll take good care of them