Thread: April pickups
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM

The NL Service Bureau photos often look like they were cut out of something larger and seldom have 4 borders all around them. They are older than the AL counterparts however and range from the mid-1920's (as early as 1924 if I remember correctly from the dates I have seen) up to the early 1930's. In general these are not super collectable because people always think they are trimmed off a larger composite or something and dismiss them when this is simply how they were issued. There is often a stamp on the back (This is from memory so dont kill me if I am wrong "Cullen Cain" or something like that). They dont have a uniform size and sometimes are short and fat and other times large and skinny. NL Service Bureau photos are "technically" type 3 if you want to get picky, which is why I have problems with the "Type1-4 system". They are photos of photos often times with cropping and enhancements but done by the photographers at the time, so who cares right? PSA does.

The American League Service Bureau photos are 7X5 inches, and can range in date from 1928 through the 1930's. They are beautiful and REALLY cool shots and as far as I am concerned, they are undervalued by collectors, probably because of their size. I have always thought these could easily be part of a Baseball Card "Set" as they are photos (for sure) but were also part of a larger group issued by company (The American League) for promotional purposes, the same as Baseball Cards. PLUS their size lends to Card Collecting crossovers as well. I LOVE EM!

Rhys Yeakley