View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I had this same issue a few years ago. Like you, I am not in danger of a all too soon demise but my kids and wife have had zero interest in the collection I built up. I have no friends who are collectors and the thought of leaving my wife with a pile of stuff (as she calls it) and no direction as to what anything was worth really struck me. I took a long look at my collection and what it meant to me and I found out it was the thrill of the chase I enjoyed in completing sets and that many of the cards I had in my collection didn't mean as much to me as I thought they had. I slowly sold off much of the collection and have saved only the most meaningful pieces which, if something happened would be easily liquidated.

It has been probably ten years since I sold off this sizable collection but I still have zero regrets and have found myself content with collecting a few sets that really do have meaning to me such as the sets I once collected as a kid. Picking up a 1973 Topps Larry Biittner for my set has more meaning to me than picking up another Kiki Kuyler. I know that sounds incredibly stupid but Biittner means so much more to me as I saw him play and I met him. Kuyler would only be a temporary happiness as I lock him away in a box somewhere and hope his prices go up enough to make a small profit when I inevitably resell.

my vote is for consolidation and selling off now and only keeping those pieces that have meaning to you.