View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Default What one may not know when posting...

Posted By: Julie

Period. If I want to tell someone I know about a card they want that I saw on ebay, or elsewhere, I send a PRIVATE message.

If it's something I think would be of interest to everyone, and I don't know a particular person who's drooling for it, I'd mention it.

I see examples of both these things all the time.

When I met Bill in Berkeley with some of our cards, I was thrilled with his T-222 Alexander--the only Alexanders I'd ever seen were funny-looking middle aged men. A few days later, he sent me a private message in the chatroom, saying one was on ebay. A couple of other board members bid on it, but there was no general rush.

Now, all up and down the threads, are mentions of things people have seen in the Mastro auction or elsewhere that they think are of general interest. But at the same time. everyone's looking at particular things they hope nobody else will bid on (which is kinda silly, but still, we do hope that). They don't say "I'm going to bid on--in Mastro."

Is that so hard?

Oh, about the "grilled cheese Mary"--it was expensive enough when the thread started! I think most of us hoped to laugh the thing to death. I know I did. Unfortunate that any kind of mention elicits increased interest. Yuk...