View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Default Vintage PSA Graded Card Review

Posted By: warshawlaw

that consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

OK, for those of you who don't think I "bash" SGC enough, here is proof I am an equal opportunity deplorer:

Strip cards are always a problem with SGC. I recently sent SGC several strips, including a rather scarce W517 mini. They refused it on the basis of minimum size even though W517s are vertical strips with lines separating the cards and you can see the friggin' dotted lines top and bottom on the card. How much more "on size" you can get than having the cut lines show I don't know. In the same lot they refused to grade a W516 Cobb yet graded a Johnson strip that was from the same set and about the same size a 5, and graded a Matty that was smaller than both the others, graded a W565 Leonard I'd cut out of a sheet a 6, and graded a W565 Heilman [sic] from the same sheet a 4. It seems to me that they refuse on the basis of size automatically if they see traces of recent cutting unless the card is clearly fresh from a sheet and has ample contrasting borders (W560, W565, W590 come to mind). Then again, sometimes they don't. I've seen some darned close cuts on W580's.