View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a very old thread

Since there is some talk about Colgan's "proofs" and what they actually are, I pulled this ancient thread up because it has some great info and makes sense. Generally we don't want to pull up old Archive threads (under threat of lawsuit of course....that had to be the funniest thread ever on this board) but this time I think it is warranted. There is great information here.... I do not believe these were proofs at all and think they were a seperate set. Here is the write up we gave them in our most recent auction:

"Amongst the caramel issues that still have some mystery surrounding them, the E254 Colgans square "proofs" are near the top of the list. While we don't believe they are proofs in the true sense of the word we don't believe it has ever been determined how these were issued, made or distributed. They do share the same photo's with the E254's and if we had to make a guess we would call them a seperate set, maybe E254-2. Whatever they are, they are seldom seen and the group listed in this auction is one of the bigger groups we have seen for sale in quite a while. Get one while you can!! "