View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 01:27 AM
John

Default Another Setbreak

Another collector bailed on the Chicle set this week .

A near complete set (I think only the Nagurski was missing, but I’m not sure and I think it was a PSA registry set as one was recently deleted, but I’m not sure on that either) was auctioned off on eBay recently (the auction ended this past Monday night 07-18-16). It was a really nice set. Did it belong to a board member?

I’d actually prefer to see the cards auctioned off much slower (a few at a time if I had my way) - what tends to happen to me on these set breaks is I bid lower knowing I really don’t want to win so many cards (spend so much) at once.

I narrowed it down to about 10 targets, then on the last day I threw out 3 that had gone high early and set 7 snipes. 2/7 snipes were on the last two cards I need to finish the set, but I missed on both. I wound up picking up two upgrades which I’m happy about, but I sure would have liked to have gotten a couple more. It’s the second time I actually missed on the same Dutch Clark and same Tom Jones. I guess it says something that I’ve been at it long enough that I’m recognizing specific examples.

Based just on my own casual observation, prices on mid-grade Chicles are still down from where they were about a year and a half ago, but I think the key cards are still getting strong prices in mid-grade. I had my eye on a PSA 5 Dutch Clark that went for around 560 and a PSA 5 Bernie Masterson that went for around 600. My snipes were looking for a bargain on those and there wasn't one to be had.

My Prior Mikulak had almost no right border and a mark by his face, so even though the text bleeds through on this new one, I still prefer it.

I liked my old Johnston, but both the L/R centering and corners are stronger on this new one, although the new one has a few more surface imperfections.

Did anyone else bid/win?

Here are my two:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18_Mikulak_Front_6.jpg (78.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 32_Johnston_Front_4.jpg (79.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-23-2016 at 01:32 AM.