Thread: '54 BOWMANS
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default '54 BOWMANS

Posted By: Fred Y

Amongst my collection of '50's sets I have a complete 1954 Bowman BB in terrific condition--another one of my childhood treasures that has remained virtually untouched since I put it together from wax packs in 1954.

There is 1 vintage card I have always wanted (well, not just 1, as there are MANY I want) but never was able to pick up along the way in all my years---until last week!

I just kinda' stumbled across the listing while jumping around EBay--and something drew me to it and I pulled the trigger, made an offer and it was accepted.

So I now have a REALLY COMPLETE '54 B set--along with the original 224 and the Vic Raschi & Dave Philley Variations which I have had for many years, I have added the one I really wanted--#66A Ted Williams.

While this card is not ultra RARE, it is quite scarce and always commands a nice price, especially in the higher grades. I was drawn to this one because of the fine clarity and cleanliness of the picture, 4 nice square corners, being very decently centered, the reverse being bright w/ no gum stain or fading and it was graded by SGC.

I thought at the time it appeared to be a beautiful card for a EX 5, even allowing for the tiny light stain on the upper rt corner front & back. Now that I have it in hand I am VERY PLEASED w/ the overall appearance and it definitely has the look of a higher grade. It appears to be very ACCURATELY graded and I have no doubt it would be a EX/MT 6 if the lite stain was not present. I paid an even $1,000 for it.

Would be interested in what you all think.