Thread: July Pickups...
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

[QUOTE=Fballguy;1678446]Posted this on a similar thread on the memorabilia forum, but I guess it probably belongs on this one.

Very cool pick ups so far this month. Congrats to all.

Thought I'd sprinkle a little on the football side. This oddity arrived today. A circa 1954, Los Angeles Rams King Crusher bucket hat that once belonged to a man name Henry Schmidt, who was head athletic trainer at Santa Clara University for 50 years. He also worked with the L.A. Rams and San Francisco 49ers.

This is one of two hats I picked up from the Schmidt estate, both with dozens of signatures of former Ram and 49er greats and various other dignitaries.

No idea of the origin and no certificate of authenticity but there are so many diverse names on here...known and unknown...Hard to believe they would be fake. Even if they are, I'm still happy to own it.

Signatures include...Norm Van Brocklin, Elroy Hirsch, Tom Fears, Tank Younger, Les Richter, Hampton Pool, Big Daddy Lipscomb, Woodley Lewis, Duane Putnam, Charlie Toogood, Bob Boyd, Harry Thompson, Tom Dahms, Don Paul, Hall Haynes, Skeet Quinlan, Harland Svare, Dan Reeves, Tex Schramm, Eddie Kotal, Bill Battles, John Sauer, Dick Voris, Ralph Weaver, Ed Beatty (Rams 1954 first round draft pick)...All players or coaches with the Rams.

Also....Bob Kelley, Rams play by play man from their inception in 1937 through 1965

49ers include...John Henry Johnson, Joe Perry, Red Hickey, Buck Shaw, Y.A. Tittle, Jim Cason, Bill Stits, Phil Bengston (Vince Lombardi's successor in Green Bay).

Other football signatures include...Bert Bell, Doak Walker, Art Donovan, Gino Marchetti, Joe Schmidt, Lou Creekmur, Roger Zatkoff, Lavern Torgeson

Several other signatures, I've yet to identify.

The hat is also inscribed:

To Henry
Best Always
Rev. Bob Richards (Richards was a U.S. Olympian back in the 40's and 50's and one time presidential candidate)

As I said...No certified authenticity, but still cool to me.

Bob Richards was a triple Olympic medalist in the pole vault (1948 Bronze, 1952 and 1956 Gold) I believe he breeds Arabian horses in Texas now. That signature is legit.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 07-07-2017 at 01:58 PM.