View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Яоь

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Did the 52 Mantle hit at the perfect time ? Decades ago not many would have said a post-war baseball card would command over a million dollars.
Do you think there will ever be a "big one" like the Mantle to hit or is it all over past the 52 Mick ?
No. I do not know where the line is, but anything 90s and beyond is not really historical. Now they create manufactured rarities through limited production printing instead of attrition. Also, cards today go from pack-to-slab in under a minute. Doubtful that any cards back then had the benefit of today's technological protection, so what ever survived in mint condition was painstakingly taken care of, not just put into a lucite holder and then shoved in a drawer.

As was mentioned before - today's cards will be worthless if torn or ripped, even if it was a manufactured 1/1. ALL of today's cards are supposed to be at least NM/MT or else it loses its value very steeply. Only a vintage card can wield that kind of power - a power that creates demand for it in almost any condition.

I had a couple of pennies, so I thought I would toss them into this well and make a wish....