View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default Will provenance become more important?

Posted By: Al Simeone

Since we are on the topic of Provenance here is a problem I think will need addressing in the very near future. In this day of hi-tech, and knowing already that grading companies holders and flips have been and will continue to be counterfeited where does that leave Provenance? And again I will state people buy the flip (seeing the collection it came from) and not the card. Im waiting for the day and believe me it is going to happen (If not already) that some of these "prominent collection" cards are fakes. As already been shown how hard is it to make a good flip? How hard is it just to add one of these prominent collectors names to a flip stick a card in it and say "Lionel Carter collection" Might be a perfectly good card lets say a 33 goudey Gehrig for example graded a 4. Broken out of a holder then re holdered with the appropriate collection Barker,Burdick,Carter etc. So now lets say for arguement sake you own a real card (not altered, trimmed etc.) with a fake flip,as we know very hard to keep track of all this flips, and as some of you have already stated "dont mind paying 2-5x more for a card from one of these collections" Now come to find out that the card never really came from the collection to begin with so now you are stuck with a card that cost you 2 -5x what it is really worth.Where is the Provenance in that!