View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Maybe I'm alone, but I don't see a cancelled check to the gas company as a priceless connection to a baseball icon. Done well, these have a much more productive life as part of a card, in my opinion...that said, the one shown in the op was not done well.
You may not be alone, but a cancelled check IS a connection to the person who wrote it... maybe not a "priceless" one in the case of a check to the gas company, but still, it's a complete document signed by the person in question. I collect checks signed by celebrities and I'm repulsed when I see ANY check cut up and used as a "cut" signature.

The only exception MIGHT be in cases when the checks are "damaged" by the family before going out. The only Bowie Kuhn checks I recall seeing are those where only the right half exists, maybe the family tore them to protect sensitive information (addresses, routing numbers). If a cut signature comes from a check that is known to have been already "damaged," then using it as part of a card might be acceptable.