View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 07:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Steve, if this is what happened shouldn't there be more than one confirmed
Piedmont?

I've been away for Christmas. Good holiday with family

There should be more Piedmonts. Interestingly, the old SGC pop report shows 7 SC backs for Murr'y.

That there aren't more Piedmonts could be that they just haven't turned up. Or that Murr'y was on a smaller sheet that didn't see much Piedmont use. Or that Murr'y was printed on a sheet that was full size but intended for smaller brands, or before/after Murray on a normal Piedmont sheet and a handful get run as leftovers or fill to finish an order.

And yes. It could be plate damage instead, but it just doesn't seem "right" for plate damage. Even if it was something like a stone chip grinding off part of the A there should be small chips/scratches around that area.

Unless it's a result of some sort of shenanigans by the press operator stoning off part of the A.....

But that's getting pretty far removed from the simplest explanation, which is often the closest to correct.

A corrected Murr'y would be quite a prize if it's identifiable (As would a provable Murray before some damage)

Mysteries like this are the biggest reason I want to really study each individual card in fine detail. Decent scans are really hard to get. I did a test with Magie, and came up with at least 8 individually identifiable groups. And could probably get to 12 with a closer look at more scans.

Most 150's and 350's were printed at least 3 different times, with clear differences on some cards. I haven't really looked hard at the 350-460's but I'd expect at least two different for all but a handful of cards.