View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
From coolest to lamest during my childhood, my thoughts immediately went to the 1964 Topps coins inserted one to a wax pack. Particularly, the first 120 coins, with regular backgrounds. Then, in only one year, Topps inserted those ugly, pathetic, and downright lame Embossed cards in their 1965 wax packs. As a child I thought they were horrible. For whatever reason, I saved them, but never, ever did I cherish any of them.

Fast forward to about 1973, and as a 19-year old, I was attending the huge Midwest Sports Collectors Convention, in Troy, Michigan. At this point, among many interests, I was purchasing any Topps coin I did not have, of those early series, or perhaps the #1-120 coins were only in just the first series wax. Anyway, a dealer was there with some of the '64 coins. I had no checklist; so if I spotted a coin that looked unfamiliar to me, I bought it. He had Mickey Mantle among his coins. I had never seen a Mickey Mantle in the '64 Topps 1-120 coins; I had both the blue background All-Star coins, but this one was a total surprise.

Just a buck, and that Mick was mine! One of my many favorite purchases during that glorious convention. I need to have PSA grade it, regardless of what their grader gives it, since I know it's in great condition, and the holder will protect it.

Oh, and you could just bet a bucket of buzzards I didn't buy any of those '65 Topps Embossed!

'Nuf said. Y'all have a nice Labor Day weekend!

---Brian Powell
65 was my first year. The Embossed were awful, no definition to the faces. 68 Topps Game were awful too. Back then my friends and I also had these little HOF statuettes, seeing them now most of them are just terrible likenesses.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.