View Single Post
Old 04-25-2024, 08:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

There is nothing to be said, other than to express one's own biases.

Mike... that is that Trout guy's name. I've not seen him play. I've watched a few innings of games in which he played with whatever the MLB subscription I have is (which is crap because for various reasons they black out 30+ games a season when I wanna watch the Cardinals). Trout doesn't seem to me to be all that other people see. I don't think he is a lock for the HOF. I'd not be upset if he didn't get in. I recall hearing a Dad tell his young son how great a player some Strasburg guy was, he was an unbeatable pitcher who would certainly be in the Hall. It was a "lock," I heard, whatever that was. I think he is no longer in the majors. I don't think he'll make the Hall, I don't think he ever won 20 games in the Majors. I felt that when that Dad was talking back then, I think that now about Trout stuff.

I don't think pitcher bore down throwing quality pitches on every pitch. I don't think Johnson threw competitive fastballs that were going 83 miles an hour. Golly, as a kid (20-25 years of age) I think I could throw in the high 70s and occasionally in the very low 80s. Walter Johnson could vastly surpass that. I stood in on guys throwing in the low 90s. I can't imagine that Walter was throwing that slow. (Should that have been slowly? Stood in equates to I was in the batter's box and lacked the ability to take a timely swing at a ball moving in the low 90s, nor the high 80s, nor the mid 80s)

Of course I didn't see Walter pitch. But I can't imagine that if he pitched now he'd be mediocre.

The runners in the video aren't running faster, the video of the film is from a film that's running faster.

NEGATIVE 1. I applaud that up there, and agree with it.

I saw a game in St. Louis in the old ball park, sat in the right field pavilion with the screen in front of it. Starters were Gibson and Koufax. I can still hear the pop of the catchers' mitts as they caught those two, that was about 60 years ago. Gibson and Koufax must to have been topping out at 85 mph at least.

Ok, fans of Trout and Strasburg... vote out of the Hall Cobb, Wagner, Cy Young, Walter, Christy, Alexander, and the like.... and then fill the damn hall up with mediocre modern ballplayers like Trout, Puckett, and Baines and the like... those would be players who'd struggle to hit Walter Johnson's 83 mph fastball.