View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Steve,

I don't feel that we took the thread of topic, it kind of drifted of topic on its own when others questioned the authenticity of the Black Swamp cards.

One member commented, "I'm not sure a good counterfeit wouldn't get by a tpg" and then another member added to that, "I have a friend that sent in 2 counterfeit cards that both came back as PSA 9's."

That's when Glyn commented, "Sorry I do not believe you about your friend..." basically calling the guy a liar. The member posted a link showing the differences between a real card and a counterfeit along with a picture of the counterfiet in a PSA slab.

Instead of apologizing to the member for calling him a liar, Glyn followed up by saying, "I do not believe they have knowingly put fake cards on holders." Well, nobody ever said they knowingly did it, but regardless, they did it.

The original question (comment) was, would a good counterfeit get by a TPG? It was proven so. That said, the era of the card shouldn't matter to prove or disprove the question. It's either a yes or a no.

Last, I have included a scan of the counterfeit (left) with a scan of a real graded card (right). How can you say there is no difference? All you have to do is look at the left and right borders of the picture. See how the picture is cropped on the counterfeit and you see more of the picture on the real card? I'll ask the question again, "What more 'proof' do you need?"

Yes, the pictures are cropped differently.

But remember we're talking about a card that has what? at least 3-4 different corrected versions. And in a set where another card has several different versions to cover up a billboard that shouldn't have been shown.
Fleer also used multiple printing plants during that time, as did Donruss and Topps. There are so many differences it's nearly impossible to track them all. (Almost like T206 )

So different cropping alone isn't enough to condemn the card.

It's different enough that I'd need something more concrete wither way.

The dissenting opinion from the same site is here.
http://www.billripken.com/mystery/mystery1b/report.html

I can't tell if you only read the one opinion, in which case you're missing a few bits of information. Or if you read both and disregarded one that didn't match your opinion of TPG. Either is fine, but I have less respect for disregarding something that doesn't match what you want to hear.

None of which makes the card real or fake.
It does mean that it's debatable.
And for that I wouldn't have slabbed it.

It's odd that there's only 5 or 6 known. Maybe there are really hundreds, and they're lost in the millions of other Ripkens, but that's very unusual for a counterfeit. Nearly all of the ones produced during that time were produced by the hundreds if not thousands.
And I don't believe it was printed on a photo printer from a photoshopped scan.
If someone has a scanner that can duplicate the detail shown in the other report I linked to above they wouldn't have any reason to use photoshop to rearrange the entire front of the card. They could simply use the detailed scan and have it appear identical.

If you want, I'll gladly go into detail about where both opinions are weak, but I do think we should take that discussion somewhere else.

I'll even start the thread over in the post 1980 area if you want. Or anyone else for that matter, does anyone want to discuss 89 Fleer in detail?

I would also agree that TPG has slabbed fakes. It's bound to happen on occasion, maybe with the Ripken, certainly with Fro-Joys.

The sheer number of people who saw the E98s before slabbing and after who know cards very well and see no problems with them makes me think the black swamp cards are just fine.

Steve B