View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 12:23 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default What was the card that started it for you?

This was it for me, the '66 Topps Sandy Koufax #100... Around 1988, at a hobby shop in Charlotte, NC. This was virtually the first card I had ever even seen in person that was older than about 1985. Mom caved pretty easily and I think shelled out $15 or 20 for it. It was a NM card otherwise, but was way, wayyyy O/C left to right, and at the time that detail was not something I even noticed. I found a picture of the original card I had a few years ago and could not believe how O/C it was. Anyhow, I had it for about a year as a 12 year-old, then traded it to the kid down the street for a beat-up, absolutely destroyed, '65 Topps Mantle #350. That card had literally been left out in the rain, was waterlogged in it's top-loader, and probably would have disintegrated if you had attempted to take it out. My logic as a kid was that a nice Koufax was worth trading for a not-so-nice Mantle. And plus, the Mantle card was OLDER (by one year) so it inherently had to be more valuable. A choice I probably would not make today, obviously.

It's now nearly 30 years later, and I no longer have the original cards that made the memories, but I did pick up another '66 Koufax - this one is a PSA 6 and is centered much better. :-)

It's funny what you remember...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-20-2018 at 01:01 PM.