View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Regarding the SOVEREIGN "apple green" back phenomena....some interesting stuff

The recognition of the SOVEREIGN 350 cards with the "apple green" backs is a recent phenomena to T206 collectors. It started with Art Martineau and Jim Rivera noting
the color difference of certain SOVEREIGN 350 cards. Rivera contacted me (circa 2008), since he was aware that I had a complete 402-card SOVEREIGN set.

I arrange the cards in all my T206 sets according to their Series (150, 350, 350/460, 460, etc.). Therefore....it became immediately evident to me, as I flipped thru the
pages of my album, that the apple green cards were exclusively associated with the 55 subjects in the 350/460 series. Furthermore, as I went thru the entire set scan-
ning the backs of all the cards, I discovered that the 6 Super-Prints (with SOVEREIGN 350 backs)....and the Joe Doyle, Red Kleinow (NY-catching), Simon Nichols (bat),
Bob Rhoades (right arm extended), and Frank Smith (white cap) were printed with apple green backs. Resulting in the grand total = 66 subjects.

I called Scot Reader regarding my observations. We arrived at the conclusion that this color change was American Lithographic's way of identifying the subjects from
their 350 Series, which they had intended to extend into their subsequent 460 Series. My point here is....that this discovery was quite a collaborative effort between
Net54er's.

For more info on this subject, check-out this Link to the thread posted Oct 2009, that first identifieded the apple green cards............
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ht=apple+green

............... Joe Doyle......see note ...............

1st group of 15 subjects..... Ames - Doolan

In the forthcoming posts I will continue displaying the remaining 45 subjects with the apple-green SOVEREIGN 350 backs.....stay tuned.

Here is the complete list of the 66 cards from my SOVEREIGN set whose backs were printed with the apple green colored ink...........

Ames (hands over head)
Baker
Bender (no trees)
Berger
Bradley (bat)
M. Brown (Chicago)
Burch (fielding)
Chance (yellow portrait)
Chase (blue portrait)
Chase (dark cap)
Cobb (red portrait)
Cobb (bat off)
Conroy (bat)
Davis (A's)
Crawford (bat)
Donlin (bat)
Doolan (bat)
Dougherty (arm in air)
Downey (bat)
Joe Doyle (arms over head)
Larry Doyle (bat)
Elberfeld (Wash.-fielding)
Evers (bat-yellow sky)
Griffith (bat)
Jennings (one hand)
Jennings (two hands)
Johnson (pitching)
Jordan (bat)
Joss (pitching)
Kleinow (NY-catching)
Konetchy (glove low)
Lajoie (bat)
Lake (no ball)
Leach (cap)
Leifield (bat)
Magee (bat)
Manning (pitching)
Mathewson (dark cap)
McIntyre (Brooklyn & Chicago)
McQuillan (bat)
Mullin (bat)
Murphy (bat)
Nichols (bat)
O'Leary (hands/knees)
Overall (yellow sky)
Pelty (vertical)
Pfeister (throwing)
Reulbach (no glove)
Rhoades (arm extended)
Rucker (throwing)
Seymour (throwing)
F. Smith (Chicago-white cap)
Snodgrass (catching)
Stahl (glove)
Steinfeldt (bat)
Street (catching)
Sweeney (fielding)
Tinker (bat off)
Wagner (bat on right)
White (pitching)
Wilhelm (bat)
Willetts
Willis (bat)
Willis (throwing)
Wiltse (throwing)
CYoung (glove)

Note......The Joe Doyle is an interesting card in this mix. A forthcoming post here will focus on his cards.

Comments and/or inputs are welcome.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 01-21-2013 at 08:22 AM.