View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
It's odd to me that Dick Stuart was a tough autograph...he really enjoyed the spotlight and fame.
He disappeared for a long time. I had heard he was a little bitter about the whole "Dr. Strangeglove" comments and getting an ovation for picking up a hot dog wrapper one time. My first one had thumbprints and was a little smeared. I got it at the '89 National thanks to word of mouth from friends of friends. The story that went along with it was he did a show and showed up drunk, signed for about 10 minutes and left. He was non-existent and by sheer luck the same friend that help me get it was getting Reggie Jackson's autograph at a National Sporting Goods Association show in Atlanta and Dick Stuart walked up and Reggie seemed star-struck meeting the man that held the minor-league season home run record! My friend got a business card and I sent a couple '64 Giants, both returned personalized to me. He did one or two shows after that that I can remember. Part of the toughness of the card signed could be that it is an SP and a popular set? I don't really know if any of his other cards are tough signed.

Last edited by Gmrson; 12-22-2013 at 12:35 PM.