Thread: Question, S74-2
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I have several different types of S74-2 color silks.....

All the same color, background and player
color background with brown player
white background with brown or black player

Are these variations to found in all player types that a run could be put together?
Are they factory variations ?
Does anybody have any info or thoughts about this....
Yes, there are some very distinct variations in both the S74-1 (white ad-backed versions) and the S74-2 (colored versions) silks. In regards to your initial question about the backgrounds and player colors, all of the white version S74-1 silks had the same color/material background while the S74-2 colored version silks came in an unknown number of different colors/shades of material.

As for the color of ink used for the images on both the S74-1 and S74-2 silks, there are only three used on both sets. The colors are either brown, blue or a shade of what I refer to as a rust-brown color. Although when you view different colored S74-2 silks it may appear that there are more than those three ink colors for the images, there aren't. It is just one of those quirks that tricks the human eye into thinking there are more than those three ink colors used for the images because of the different background material colors the inks are printed on.

To my knowledge, I believe it is possible to find every player in either the S74-1 or S74-2 set in any of those different three ink colors used for the images. Now if you try to then extend that to the different advertising backed silks in the S74-1 set, or to each and every different material color/variation used in the S74-2 set, that may be a different matter.

Most of the S74-1 ad-backed silks are either for the Old Mill or Turkey Red brand cigarettes, along with the rarer Red Sun and Helmar brands. I don't think there are enough of these rarer backed silks out there to really be able to tell if you could put together a complete set for all players with all three ink colors. No one to my knowledge has ever tried to catalog them in that way and therefore tried to keep track of such numbers. That is not to say they weren't originally printed for each different advertising back with each player available in all three color inks, just that not enough have possibly survived to be able to definitely find them all and prove it.

As for the S74-2 colored silks, there are so many different material shades/colors used it would be virtually impossible in my opinion to tell if every single player in the set was at one time printed in all three ink colors for every different material color/shade ever produced. There are certain silk colors/shades, such as the deep red or lime green versions, that are much harder to find. It is possible that these were used for limited runs and when that color material ran out, they didn't use it anymore. It would take an extremely great and concerted effort among a lot of silk collectors to try to build a database to see if there are certain material colors/shades that do not exist for certain ink colors. Could be fun trying though.

BobC