View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Ne@l K

Personally, I believe that baseball card collecting is slowly and surely becoming a dying hobby. Certainly less and less .....

Graded commons may not have a true place in 20 years, as no one is really stepping up and taking over our spots. I have coached Little League for many years. These kids know Trout and Jeter, but do not know about Johnny Bench. Babe Ruth is certainly known, but only as legend. Foxx? Walter Johnson? George Brett? Nope. Granted this is a small sample size but I think there is truth and merit regarding the future of our hobby. My son knows that I love collecting, and is well educated on the players of yesteryear (mostly on his own btw) but has zero interest in collecting. He loves the sport and is pretty good at it, but like all the kids that I know at his age, they simply do not collect. Most never did in the first place.

Will a high grade, low pop common variation from the 50s or 60s continue to be sought after? My guess is a resounding no.

Theories abound regarding manipulation of the market, and I agree with most of them. Are they recognizing this trend or just trying to grossly capitalize? My guess is both.

I still enjoy collecting a great deal. We all do. I am sure my collecting will continue to the degree I am comfortable with, but can't help think that the future "investment" may not be there.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others

Last edited by Neal; 10-12-2017 at 09:24 AM.