View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
San Antonio 154, OKC 147 in double overtime.

LaMarcus Alridge with 56 points, Russell Westbrook with 24 points and 24 assists. The league keeps going in overdrive.
The history of NBA scoring over various eras is difficult to comprehend.

In the fifties I remember a playoff game ending 62-60 involving the Nats and the Lakers I believe. This was before the 24 second clock.

In the sixties, which I will call the Chamberlain era, the number of shots per game went up, rebounds particularly Wilt's went up and average scores were over 110. I believe the rebounding was in part due to the rules at the time on foul shots created more rebounds, as well as lower % of FG made and more shots per game.

Fast forward to the eighties with the introduction of the three point line. Scores did not continue to rise and in fact plummeted. Safe for a few, three point shooters were not as good as today, and defense was king. By 1990 the Pistons and the other better teams were holding opponents in the low 90s, despite the 24 second clock and the three point line. Shots per game were quite a bit lower than the Chamberlain era. Only a few teams averaged over 100 points per game.

This defense disappeared after 2000, scores began to increase. All-Star games have always had higher scores and a paucity of defense. The current NBA seems to entered, what I would call the "All-Star era".

If you look at a current shot distribution chart, 95% of the shots are either from the paint (high percentage dunks) or three pointers by and large. The 15 foot jump shot has all but disappeared.

Back in the sixties, one of the most remarkable statistics in my opinion was the fact that Wilt never fouled out of an NBA game and averaged 46-47 minutes of playing time in some years, if my memory is correct.

In the nineties with tighter defense, fouling out of games was a reality that players and coaches needed to contend with.

I haven't checked, but I imagine that the number of players fouling out of games is quite low today. Call it what you like: All-Star Ball, street ball, or hot-dogging, but today's game is more of a circus act than some of the basketball of the past.

I would say that this timeline for the NBA form 1954-2019 could not have been forecasted. Rule are rules and they have changed which have led to changes in the way the game is played. Each era, i'm sure, has its proponents. Personally the current game is not my favorite.

Disclaimer: This was written from memory without consulting statistics. Some of my statements may be a little off, but not much.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.