View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 06:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Irv

Perfect arrangement, thanks for posting it.

My question to you is how did that scratch get on your card ?

The history of my Mantle card starts from the last 1952 TOPPS waxpack which I opened in the Fall of 1952. I remember that it was the last pack since I told my buddies
that I would stop collecting BB cards upon getting the Mantle card. In 1960 when I enlisted in the Air Force, my Mom and Aunt cleaned out my room and transferred my
Sportscard collection, Stamp collection, Lionel trains, Baseball bats and gloves, etc. to our attic.

There my goodies stayed until my teenage Daughters (avid BB fans) convinced me to recover my cards (circa 1977). I found a real "treasure chest".....1000's of BB, FB,
and Non-sports cards in stacks in a huge box. The Mantle card was mid-way in large stack of 1952 cards, and most likely got scratched in the process of transporting (or
during the storage) of the cards.

Incidentally, here are the other TOPPS cards in that same pack as the Mantle card......
Ted, I wish I had an answer for you but even after asking my father about these cards numerous times, the information is pretty thin as he says he doesn't honestly remember much about them.

I have 2 of the cards you posted but I am missing Chapman and Jeffcoat.
My Uncle, like I have stated before, claimed some of the collection as being his.
There were 2 boxes and I received the 1st one which was much larger than the 2nd and held the Mantle card. The 2nd box I vividly remember seeing a Mathews and Ashburn card but I draw a blank on the rest. I believe most were a mix of highs and low numbers?
My father, who didn't want to create a scene or a family rift, gave the second box to my uncle even though he honestly didn't think they were his.

My uncle would have been 2 yrs old when these cards came out so it would have been highly unlikely they were his but my father caved nonetheless, unfortunately.

Despite me telling my uncle that if he ever decided to sell them to let me know, sold them years ago (likely shortly after receiving them?) to a pawn shop.

I think about those cards often, especially the Mathews card, but it serves me no purpose so I eventually move on.