View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

Well, it was done by MSA........

I can see the lead time in production packing distribution causing some of those. Things were a bit slower then.

And 78 and 79 is pretty much what I recall. We moved to the Boston area in Sept 77, and I was getting the cards in Sears in the spring. Lead time to a major retailer like Sears would have been longer. I'm not entirely sure the box cards weren't available in late 77. I do know that a lot of kids took the cards out of the boxes, and either took them or added it to another box. Had to check the box before buying. I'd thought that was what caused the cards printed on the boxes, perhaps before 79? But overall it matches what I remember.

What a great year 78 was! Sox going great - until.... Cards in wiffleballs, Hostess, frosted flakes, Papa Ginos, and with Chille Willee at the local store. Plus , regular Topps, Fleer stickers, OPC picked up on a cross country trip, the sspc all star book, RC cola cans, .............
And the town I was in had a shop that was mostly baseball cards so I was getting into older cards too.

Steve B