View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Hank Thomas

Germany Schaefer actually stole first base twice, so he did break his own record. And as impressive as Cy Young's records are, when do "modern" records begin? Not that his or Walter's records will ever be broken, but I've always thought it not completely implausible that at some point pitching strategy will revert to that of my youth, when the starting pitcher was expected to go all the way. It seemed to work so well for so many pitchers in the past, and freed up roster spots for specialty utility guys on the bench. Has it been proven that pulling the stud pitchers of the past in the last two or three innings and substituting a "closer" would have saved their teams games? Or is it just that because they don't pitch as much as they did in the old days, now they CAN'T pitch as much? How about injuries? Seems like they're almost all brittle now, whereas before, a 15 to 20 year career was more or less standard for the starters. I wouldn't rule out a reversal at some point, where they start working them more in the minors to prepare for a career more like those before the shorter and shorter starts began in the 1960s or 70s. Or, if they keep going the way they are, the very concept of a "starter" could disappear, and he would just be the first guy handed the ball and expected to go the first two or three innings before the next guy came in.