View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
We're thinking alike Dan. To the point about ambidextrous pitchers.. There was at least one guy pitching in an independent league a few years ago that could use both arms. He had a special glove that fit either hand. He was more geared toward using it to his advantage in various lefty/righty matchup situations, than he was to pitch everyday. It was pretty crazy though.. I think he once had an impasse with a switch hitter, where he'd switch then the hitter would switch, so on. The baseball rules have accounted for switch hitting, but don't think they ever made rules for switch pitching (can you change hands after 2 strikes, etc).

Yes, great point on Wilbur Wood. He pitched on two days rest in his prime. As for the ambidextrous pitcher, my guess is that he'd more likely pitch with both arms in one game rather than alternative days so that he would have an advantage on left or right handed batters. I don't know if they made rules for switch pitching or not. It would also require a special glove. It's hard enough to make to the big leagues on one great arm, let alone two.