View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Doug Doremus

Default Love 'em--

For a hall-of-fame collector on a budget, cut out cards can be great. You can get a genuine, classic Cobb for $60 [I'm thinking of the Conlon icon of Cobb sliding into third, as in the T202 middle panel].

I have a collection of T202 middle panels that I love [Was Conlon the main photographer? I wonder; and the text on the back is simply great], needing only four to complete the set of 78. I could buy the whole card and break it up to complete the set, but I don't think that would be right, somehow; it's just not in the spirit of the collection, so I won't.

Most of what I have I've bought over the last ten years, and these cut-outs are one of the last kind of things you can still buy cheaply, occasionly, on ebay. So you can sell them cheaply, too.

When I sold a bunch of 1935 Goudey cut-ups to Dave, the ones with the jigsaw-puzzle backs, I realized that the puzzle became exponentially harder to do, with four times the number of pieces. Those were dark days, deep in the Depression, not much entertainment money, then; it makes you wonder.

So, if you enjoy authentic cards at a bargain, cut-outs can be great.