Thread: April Pickups
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Wow, just had a chance to scroll through the whole month of pickups to date. Some really great Micks, even ignoring the April Fools. I'd never seen the Cigar one, nor had I seen such a nice copy of the Dan-Dee.

I suppose I'm the flip side of all the devastated Brooklyn fans. For me, I can't even picture my childhood without Garvey, Fernando, Ron Cey, and the rest of the Los Angeles Dodgers. For me, that was a magical time and a magical team. But wow, I can only imagine the awful taste that move left in the mouths of New York fans.

Happy to see all those 1978 Tigers. That was my first year really throwing myself into collecting. Was literally looking for loose change in the couch and (okay, I admit it) stealing nickels and dimes from my mom's parking meter change to buy my packs and FINALLY complete my set. The Garvey was like gold at my school...you could trade it for ANYTHING you wanted. I remember this one kid showed up who had tons of old stuff...Musial, Mays, even some Goudey...I don't recall exactly what I got for my 1978 Steve Garvey and Dave Kingman (the awful airbrush job), but it was quite a haul. Of course, easy come easy go.

And finally, love the Norm Cash cards. I can't believe he posed in a bunt position. I would have guessed he bunted zero times in his entire MLB career. Such great numbers in that '61 season, but obviously overshadowed by Maris/Mantle.

Okay, I'm sure I just broke the record for longest Pickup Thread post without actually posting a pickup. (Oh wait...Bill the 'Stache went 8 times as long once to school me (correctly!) on how over-rated Chuck Klein is.

Enjoy the weekend!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/