View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Josh

Default I made a mistake with this Clemente, but does it matter?

I'm building a set of 1956 Topps. I saw this Clemente come up for auction and at first glance it looked perfect to me, especially the centering. I thought it was 50-50, so I was willing to pay a premium. The card had a $1000 reserve, but I won for $1076 and paid an additional $80 in sales tax. No problem, that was still less than I was willing to pay because I thought the eye appeal was worth it.

Anyway, I get the card yesterday and I was super stoked to check it out, but when I opened up the package, my heart sank a bit. The centering was not perfect. Honestly, I was hoping they had sent me the wrong card. Apparently I was fooled by the shadows on the holder in the scan. Shame on me.

Centering is 60-40 left/right & top/bottom. It's got a minor print imperfection through the middle of the card, but doesn't affect Clemente's face in my mind. It has a small wax stain on the back. Otherwise, the edges and corners look great and it has really nice color. The only thing I was surprised about when I got the card was the centering.

My question: Is $1156 still a respectable deal for this card? Thanks in advance for any input.