View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Mike H.

As an advanced Tigers/Cubs pennant collector living in Michigan I can tell you I see a lot of these in antique shops. Some are marked as Tigers pennants others not. I don't consider these Tigers pennants and don't have any examples in my collection. As a side note, few of them sell unless they are under $40.00.

My thinking on these and MANY other similar pennants from Chicago, Detroit, and other cities is this. When these pennants were made there was no league or team logo ownership. During this era $1.00 was a LOT of money. If you wanted to make money you put the team name or logo there so kids would ask their parents to buy one or you would appeal to the FAN. Think about it. These are likely simply city pennants. If your booth outside Tigers stadium had these boring generic pennants and Gus across the street had the roaring Tiger pennants you would go home with a cart full of felt and no money. People made things to SELL and these would not. Debate them all you like but wishing it so doesn't make it so.

Now excuse me while I try to jump off my soap box without breaking my ankles