View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default Help with ebay seller

Posted By: NitroElite

I was actually the high bidder of the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 for $8k. I actually got the seller on the phone and he agreed to meet me in person and sell the card.

I actually wanted to do paypal (credit card protection just in case it's a fraud) but his paypal account didn't work (the first warning flag).

But in any case, the seller reassured me that the card was indeed authentic and that one of his past feedbcks is positive for another Mickey Mantle 1952 card for $9k. (possibly another flag)

But supposedly, I offered to meet the seller in person and inspect the card personally and up close. And if the card was in fact genuine and legit, then I would pay the seller a cashier's check.

Now, I'm very glad that I came across this post and this forum. What would you guys recommend? I have a good feeling that the card is in fact real and genuine, but the concern for me is what the rest of you brought up - the possibility of the card being trimmed or altered.

Is there a good way to determine that this has happened or not? Is trimming definitely noticeable and detectable to the naked eye (I've never seen a professional trim job on a card)? I also left the seller a voicemail to check his schedule to see when he's availble to meet up, so when he calls back, I will also ask him up front if he is aware of anything trimming or altering of the card, or if the card can be regraded by PSA.

I'm also very wary of the "My grandfather gave me his card collection" story.

Any thoughts and comments are much appreciated.
-Roger