View Single Post
Old 02-07-2002, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Default Question for collectors

Posted By: TBob

I remember about 15 years ago when I put together a nice near set which I later sold (dumb, dumb) that T207s were about as easy to find as T205s. Maybe they weren't being handled by as many dealers, but when you found a guy who had them, he normally had a ton of them. I remember going to a show in Kansas City in 1982 and asking a guy if he had any T207s. He stared at mne quizically and then reached under his table and brought out two boxes of cards about the size of those safety match boxes toy see, each with a neat stack in no particular order, each stack carefully wrapped in kleenex. When I opened up each box, there were tons of EX and EXMT T207s. If I had had more money I would have bought all 400 or so, as it were I bought about 50 including Speaker, Hooper, Tyler and many of the toughies. All beauties and not one single frigging crease to be found. He looked in his Beckett, charged 1/2 the book price and then went I bought so many, took more off since it was a large purchase. My best buying day ever. When I got home I looked at the SCD and saw several dealers selling T207s and in the next few months ordered a bunch. Alan Hagler (a name many despise in the hobby) had literally hundreds of nice T207s which had not been trimmed or altered and I bought a lot of toughies from him including Rassmussen. All were Broadleaf backs. David Festberg, back when he was grading fairly, sold me a Lowdermilk in top shape in the late 80's, early 90's. They used to be ALL OVER THE PLACE. Now you have to hunt and scrape for them and are lucky to find any of the tough backs in any condition at any price. I wonder where the heck they all went ???????