View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
I'm pretty torn on paying big money for newer graded 10s but I definitely prefer that to subbing and trying to come out ahead there. The biggest question mark I have is that there are so few straight auctions (at least compared to baseball), that the market seems to be all over the place.

I've got much less of a problem buying higher-graded vintage wrestling because I know it's unlikely that a ton of high-grade raw exists. But I get the feeling that there are a bunch of high-grade raw cards out there of the newer sets and people simply aren't bothering to send them in until prices are guaranteed to be higher. For example, several PSA 9 Ortons have been on eBay recently in the $20-$25 range. If I'm a seller with a bunch of raw ones, what's the point in sending them in to be graded, paying for the slab, shipping, waiting, etc. when I know I really need to get a 10 for it to be worthwhile?

I've gone up to $50 for a few RCs that I wanted and the most expensive one I bought was a Rollins 2010 MWR for $125. That was sort of an exception because it's a rarer card that predates his WWE/FCW days and I know that, even raw, there aren't a ton of them out there. I thought that was a good buy just because the pop reports aren't likely to blow up. But I'd be hesitant to spend $200-$300 on a PSA 10 card from the 2000s until there is some more established sales history. I don't really plan on selling the cards, so I am generally fine with overpaying a little. It just seems like such an undetermined market.

Do you get that sense or is it more stable in your mind?

I was the first person to sub any of the WWE Royal Rumble cards to PSA. I had no real idea on value and just thought they had good potential and would be great additions to my collection.

The wrestling card market is all over the place. I am one of the few people who will run straight auctions and unfortunately many of my cards have been flipped shortly there after for two times as much or more in a BIN. There is so little history on many of the cards in graded form that pricing is all over the place and so are sales. The only set with any somewhat established consistent values are the Wrestling All Stars and those too do better in BIN in many cases.

I have self submitted quite a few of my own cards which has been helpful in developing my collection. I love the thrill of finding raw cards and then sending them in and scoring high grades. For a few years from 09 to probably 11 I was buying just about every Wrestling All Stars card that came to market and was fortunate that graded wrestling cards were in their infancy. I hit tons of 8's, 9's and some 10's but finding super nice raw cards that make their way to EBAY now is few and far between.