View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 PM

Default supply curve

The OP is getting some terrific market info, and I appreciate his willingness to share. We are seeing some more complex aspects of value rather than simply the price of the marginal trade. Consider that the OP has found that some owners are unwilling to accept even 1.5x or more...even when they just bought it. People certainly value their own cards, and all owners do not view those on the market as substitutes. The OP is going farther up the supply curve

Also, I always wondered how many cards on the beckett or psa pop guides were resubmitted, and so the numbers in the pop report are above the true number of graded cards. The OP is gaining some insight on the true population. Even for commons, I hypothesized that a good number of 5s and higher are resubmitted.

BTW: I am fascinated because I established a small position on a 1957 common several years ago. I noticed that the psa 5+ market price rose 10-20% on ebay, which I attributed to my position. The 1957 commons are far more in number, I bet, than 1952 highs, so I am not surprised that the OP's position is driving price up rapidly.