View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 05:58 AM
Larry More.y

I was asked this question by an experienced 52 Topps collector, and I guessed nearly 10k. This collector pointed out that there were approximately 1400 PSA graded (who knows how many resubmits are in the 1400), approximately 425 SGC graded copies, and another 150 graded by BGS. So with approximately 1975 graded copies (less resubs and crossovers) of the most popular post war card out there, I was told that 10K was too high.....after thinking about it for a second, I agreed, as this card would likely have one of the highest percent of available copies graded.

More likely there were "originally" 10K copies out there/issued, but due to natural disasters, Mom's pitching their kids card collections (how my Uncle lost his 52 Mantle back in the day), etc, my guess is now that there are as many ungraded copies of this card out there as there are graded copies. I know at least several board members who have ungraded copies in their collections. Probably many more copies sit in non active collector's safe deposit boxes somewhere, while many others are still buried in the attic/basement of a non-collector waiting to be unearthed.

So my guess now is that 3500-4000 copies still exist with maybe 2500 total copies in the hands of active collectors or are for sale.

The SPs from the high series are obviously much scarcer than the Mantle.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 01-10-2017 at 12:55 PM.