View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Adam

Default Your Favorite Donruss Sets from 1981-1991

Beginning in 1981, Donruss began printing their regular annual baseball card sets. In 1992 they joined the "premium" fray and started using thicker card stock on their base set. But from 1981 to 1991, the base Donruss set was printed on standard cardboard and issued in wax packs for an affordable price. Between those 11 sets, which are your favorites, and why? Feel free to rank them or whatever you want.

Personally, the 1987 set is my favorite with 1984 a close second. This is due first and foremost to the designs of those sets, but also to the great rookies and many nice regular player cards featured in those sets. While the 85 set is decent, it was a big letdown after that beautiful white bordered 84 set. And 88 was a travesty coming after the sweet 87 set. But, I feel similarly about the 88 sets of Topps and Fleer, as the 87 sets of those cards were great as well. 1987 was just an excellent year for baseball cards. That's when it all began for me though, so maybe that's just nostalgia talking, but I think the designs of the big 3 that year still hold up well today.

Anyway, I'm curious what the favorites (and least favorites) are of anyone here who still has interest in cards from the "junk wax" era.