View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunderby View Post
I forgot about that, I remember the Topps Gold and the Fleer Rookie Sensations being popular, though if I remember correctly the Rookie Sensations were one per pack but the style of pack they came in was scarce.

When I think of "chase" cards I think of 1993 on to about 1999-2000 when attention turned to the game used. There were a few GU starting in about 1997 but there were so few that not many people had them.
No, they were not 1 per pack. They were random with no stated odds. Out of a box of cellos, I have seen boxes with only 1. I believe the average was about 4. It has been 25 years since I was busting those. That is why the Frank Thomas was bringing big bucks at the time.

There were definitely more than Rookie Sensations. All of the Ultra inserts were hot. Donruss made their popular Diamond Kings inserts. Collectors were chasing everything to complete their master sets. Card companies saw collectors would bust more packs to get these cards, so they just kept upping the odds until we got /25 inserts and 1/1 parallels.