View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
Love this thread. I was a kid of the '70s (ages 6-16), so those sets are my love. The '76 is the first one I built in my quest to rebuild all of the years '72 thru '79. I have yet to put it in an album though I finished it a few years ago, and its fun to see them all like this. I truly loved my cards as a kid, and when there is one I don't recognize, I know that is one I never got from packs as a kid. I usually managed to get about 600 or so from each set just through packs, and thus probably another 400-500 dupes as once you got close it was just a lottery buy to see if you could hit one you needed. Funny how excited a Juan Beniquez can make you. Thanks for sharing the ride on this one.
I missed that era, which feels like a bit more "pure" then when I started (1987), when kids were already putting all their cards in top loaders and boxes to protect their "value".

In those pre-internet days, though, you're right....buying packs and a few trades were your only ways to acquire cards, except for the rare trips to a local card shop.

And when buying packs, I feel like I got a 1987 Topps Pat Dobson in every pack, even when buying 1988 Donruss or 1989 Topps!

And you're right about recognizing most of the cards. I bought my son a box of 1987 Topps to rip open a few months back, and I think maybe 1-2 cards in the whole box I didn't recognize.