View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default It glows!

Ben, what Mr. Wheat is referring to is the reflective red "glow" ink used on the back of some of the 91 Topps cards. If you shine a black light on the back of regular 91 Topps cards you will find some that glow and some that do not. This is from two different types of ink used during the printing process. I know you're somewhat aware of this from your 91 Topps Nolan Ryan post back in November. I first learned about this variation (some may argue that definition) after reading an unsuspecting post made by Steve B years ago. It was glossed over at the time (at least no one replied to it) but it surely caught my eye. I literally became obsessed with understanding which cards it affected and which cards it did not, researching it for the last couple of years, buying thousands and thousands of 91 cards, breaking different product from different packaging. Last September I bought a house and packed away all that product away and haven't unpacked it since (on purpose). Taking a break from it snapped me out of the OCD spiral I was in. I'm done researching it...it's time to share what I learned and pass the baton, letting others run with it. Zach was one of the first I decided to share this glow ink info with, which I did recently after reading his passion for DS cards.

All of that back story to tell you this, one of the most important nuggets of info I discovered was that ALL 91 DS cards were printed with glow reflective ink. In my opinion this was a huge discovery because of the existing problem with counterfeit DS cards. If you shine a blacklight on the back of a DS card and it does not glow it would mean (in my unprofessional opinion) that it is a counterfeit. Having said that, one must keep in mind that this is not a fool proof way of eliminating all counterfeits because a counterfeiter may also use a regular 91 Topps card with glow ink to make a counterfeit. It is at least a new way to weed some of the counterfeits out.

So, hopefully Zach doesn't mind me speaking for him when I say, that's what he meant when he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Most - but not all - of the Desert Shield cards I've checked were printed with only 1 variation of this ink. The ink is actually visible - and distinguishable from the other type of ink - through the packaging. It is hard to pick up but you can clearly make out the differences.

This does not eliminate packs that aren't Desert Shield packs entirely, but greatly reduces the chances of picking up a regular issue pack.
When I have more time I will start a 1991 Topps Glow thread and reveal many more of my findings in detail along with a master checklist I created. It has grown quite big when you consider the compound variations of errors, sheet codes, and the bold and faint logo on the back.

Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0141.jpg (72.5 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by 4reals; 01-07-2014 at 11:42 PM.