View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsley View Post
Travis nailed it, they have done it with Maz. Maris is far more deserving. And I don't even like the Yankees.
Bill Mazeroski has the highest dWAR of any second baseman in history, and only Ryne Sandberg and Roberto Alomar have more Gold Gloves than Mazeroski's eight.

I'm not saying that Maz was a slam dunk Hall of Famer, but I really think it's unfair to say that Maz gained induction because of one home run. Second base is rarely a big offensive position. While he wasn't known for his offense, he's 16th all time in home runs at his position, and both he and Maris hit .260 for their career.

Maris had two great MVP seasons, but never reached an All Star level in any other season (5 + WAR is generally considered All Star level. His third best is 3.9 in 1964). And post season? Maz was a career .323 hitter in the playoffs with a .944 OPS, while Maris hit .217 with a .667 OPS.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.