View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Now, I understand the reasons for grading cards, especially the classic vintage beauties. It is for grade and of course, authenticity. One thing I seem to have seen a jump in lurking in vintage card threads, is that more people are buying "A" grades now, as I did recently w a card that I wanted, Anyways, I digress.

My main ? for all you guys is that, I read "SGC has only graded five at a level higher than this " or PSA has three at this level in their Pop report. How do we REALLY know how many others are out there, from people who have NOT had their cards graded? So, why is the "number graded" such a high benchmark? And do any of you actually not care for graded cards, or they aren't "critical" for you to have the card you want?

I guess what I'm saying is, taking into account high pricing at times on graded cards that aren't particularly rare (say a 59 Ernie Banks), do you guys feel that grading services have been a help overall in the hobby? Thanks and Peaceful Easter to all.

Scott.
Lots of questions in there. We have no way of knowing how many cards out there haven't been graded. In my mind, I generally at least double the graded population.

I think there is almost universal consensus that grading has done more good for the hobby then bad as it gives those with less background a way to level the field with card doctors & trimmers.