View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Paul,

It's REALLY hard to pick one. Incredibly so.

Lately, this has been my favorite:

It pictures the Wheeling Nailers playing a game on May 19, 1887. Something about having such a clear panoramic of what the game was like in the late 19th century, with players actually not posing, is really appealing to me. This is actual game action. I feel like it harkens back to some of the origins of the game most fans hold dear. Just a small town game with a couple hundred fans when the professional game was still somewhat of a new thing.

But then again, some of the great Tomlinson cabinets are friggin' incredible. I wanna paint them all.

G
Graig - You hit it on the nail (no pun intended) with this photo. I used to have it as my background on my computer. It is the best, and clearest, depiction of a 19th century game that I have come across. I didn't know that there was a broader view, like the one you posted, or that it was identified. The view I had was much closer but, unfortunately, I can't find it now. I just now pulled the image below from the internet which isn't as good. I'll keep looking for the more detailed view because you can clearly make out the chicken wire backstop, the scorers in the scoring box (with the canopy over them), the telegraph wire running up from the scoring box and behind the stadium, the "home club" sign, the two African-American men standing on the field in front of the scoring box and that's not even to mention the game and the players.

Rob M.

Baseball.jpg

Edited to add a somewhat closer view:

Baseball 2.jpg

Last edited by ramram; 10-19-2018 at 09:25 AM.