View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Default Can someone tell me the big fascination with Caramel cards...

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Elvis is often associated with the beginnings of Rock & Roll. This is correct, hewas there in the beginnings. And it is also correct that Rock & Roll was important, in part, because previous to Rock & Roll teen kids did not have their own music at all. Imagine that for a minute: teenagers with no music.

It is hard to imagine.

But try to imagine kids with no baseball cards of their own. That is what existed prior to e-cards. Yeah, kids may be able to wrangle some cards from adults who got them, when the adults remembered. Or maybe they could find them discarded. And other sources which I don't even imagine. But no cards genuinely of their own.

E-cards hold as important a place in history as Rock & Roll, to some. But e-cards aren't limited to those sets which were available around the pre-WWI - Roaring 20s era. One historic set reached into the Tobacco dominated 19th century arena.

Although the attractiveness and lack of such, is disputable depending on each viewers opinion of e-cards, their historical significance to card collecting is interesting to those who find it to be so.

Personally, I bought some e-cards prior to the craze, because they were cheaper than t-cards, and I wanted specific players, however, since the craze hit, Ive only purchased CJs - 'cause they are like OJs - you can never have enuff.