View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
It always amazes me how sports fans and the public in general can side with the owners in these cases. Some athletes are making a lot of money to be sure, but in many cases ruining their bodies and you are paying to see THEM, not the owners. The owners are making Tens of millions many times over every year and not just in a few peak years like the athletes. The players aren't moving franchises in the middle of the night, taking public subsidies for more profitable stadiums. In any case the average fan is living a life much closer to that of a player than an owner.
And as far as the slavery comment, Walter Johnson said the same thing nearly 100 years ago.
Well, I'll try to explain it. Yes, AP works a job that is very damaging physically. And for that he deserves a decent salary, a good pension, and excellent medical care both during and after his career. He gets the salary, and then some, enough that he can afford his own medical care after his career is over. He'll also get a decent pension, not fantastic, but decent.
And yes, many ex pros don't make that kind of money.
If it was a marginal lineman facing rehab after a blown out knee with no guarantee that he'd ever play again I'd have some sympathy

Some of what the owners were intending to put in place was more health care and pension for older players whose pensions are based on 1970's salary levels. And the giveback from the cap money was also supposed to be used for the fancy facilities todays players demand.

And the owners wouldn't pay the players as much as they do if they weren't making either short term profits (Jersey sales, tv contract share, tickets, etc) Or long term profits from enhanced value of the franchise.

Now from my point of view...

I worked in industrial jobs for 20 years. In an era that was just beginning to understand stuff like chemical exposure, repetitive motion injury, etc. Overall probably not as damaging as a long pro football career. But harder than baseball or basketball, and maybe equal to hockey. Not directly equivalent, but similar. Unless one of the chemicals does its long term thing and wrecks an organ or causes cancer. No AC in the summer, little Heat in the winter.

My BESTyear was around 40K. That's about $20 an hour, less than the old pro working in the batting cage.

I'd have to work about 268 years to earn APs base salary.

And I get 0 pension, 0 post career health care. I was lucky to have some health care at the last job, but didn't have any at the previous jobs.
And I had to be there every day. Except my 2 weeks of vacation - Oh by the way please don't take them consecutively.

If APs career is "Slavery" enslave me! .... Please!

And like any business owner the team owners take the risks. Like paying big signing bonuses to guys like Ryan Leaf. Or any of the hyped guys that get hurt or can't be coached or just plain aren't good enough. So maybe they deserve their profits. Just like the guy that paid my salary deserved his profits for taking the risks of running a business.

Steve B