View Single Post
Old 04-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
It is much easier to forge a card than a vintage bat, and almost infinitely easier to forge an autograph.

Coins, stamps, antiques of all kinds, artwork - pretty much every collectible - can be, and sometimes is, forged. It's all relative, but vintage GU seems a lot safer than some other things.
Mark I agree that many other collectibles such as Autographs are easier to stright up forge. Game used items from Star players and Hall of Famers tend to have higher price tags than most memorabilia. And subtle differences can mean significant price swings.
I will give the example of the third Bat got for my collection. A Johnny Bench bat purchased from a man who had a table full of items from Steve Carlton Pete Rose etc. He had a relationship with these players and marketed their game used and personal items.
First I bought a Few Pete Rose Ties that my Dad just got a big kick out of. He wore them often to social events. So a few shows later he sees this same man and buys a Pete Rose warm up suit that he had worn for a Mizuno ad. Then later a Johnny Bench bat. At a show the next month he has Bench sign the Bat. When Bench signs it he asks my Dad how he got it. He tells story and says Johnny says yep thats one of mine. This is about 1979-1981 my Dad gives it to me the next Christmas because he knows I am a big fan love you Dad (he passed in 2017)
Forward to 2013 I have purchased an Arod bat signed as Game used but I find out he only uses this model for batting practice. So I ask knowledgeable bat guy about Bench bat I show him pictures. He looks it up and says it is a bat Bench ordered not for game use but to give away to friends or at his car dealership etc. So 2 of the first 5 bats I bought tought me lessons. Neither that expensive but the second stung. Never told Dad about the Bench.
So I keep learning and become even more cautious. Because I know small differences mean alot and sources you want to trust you can't. Photo Matching, MLB certs, PSA 9's, heavy game use especially if it reinforces player characteristics these things I trust. And I know that certainty has a price but it is worh it to me.