View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 03:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The Red Indian back is on at least one other card. Also a Boston Herald back on a Campbell Fitzsimmons.

I suspect that all of the minute variations were simply the result of making new batches of cards when the orders exhausted the old one.
Thanks Adam, I forgot about the Herald’s I should have included as a possibility in the OP. That makes 21 combinations.

Different cards within a series of the Newsboys don’t seem to all have the same combinations available - I suspect from what I’ve seen that they were released somehow in subseries that roughly track the number, with some cards replaced by new cards and some continued into later productions and thus only coming with whichever of the minute variations was being made at that exact time in production.

The only odd thing is the existence of font 1 and font 2 on basically everything, the two mounts in main series 1 existing on everything and the same for most of series 3 until the rarest number sequences are hit and there’s just not a sample size to look at.

I do wonder if the Jackson second pose was a ‘mistake’, or an intended photo change like the other photograph variations tied to the same number. As it looks so very similar and seems to be unusually rare for a first release pose so wonder if it was just a mistake and they didn’t really intend to use a different picture that production run.