View Single Post
Old 06-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Default Authentication services

Posted By: warshawlaw

Because no two sigs are alike. You also have to take into account that sometimes the athlete was rushed or peeved about signing and may not have done a typical good job. Then what does the authenticator do?

I like to get autographs in person for free and being in LA, I have lots of opportunities. Sometimes they are not really clean and sharp because the person is not sitting at a table. I once got a Lennox Lewis autograph in person. He was on the move and wearing tape on his hands (it was after a workout) so the signature looks lousy. No authenticator is going to vouch for it because the signature was so rushed and sloppy. But I know it is real and as a collector, that's more than sufficient for me.

The authentication price issue is really irksome too. I never understood why they would charge more depending on whose autograph is being certified, especially since they've already told you in the submittal form that they won't stand behind their authentication even if they make mistakes (i.e., the explanation is not insurance or liability driven). because of the pricing crapola, I like the PSA/DNA $20 for signed cards. It is a really good deal, especially with a sig that they otherwise charge $75 or more to authenticate otherwise. I suppose the sliding scale charge is simply based on what they feel they can extract from you.

I also like to research my signatures myself and see what I can determine. I've run down exemplars of some of my sigs from impeccable sources and have been able to authenticate some of ny items myself. It was particularly important to me to do that for my boxer cousin. I got some of his handwriting scanned from a cousin and was able to use it to purchase a signed note and a signed photo. Believe me, it is a lot more satisfying to be able to track down and authenticate your own collection than to pay some clown for the privilege.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna drop a bunch of signed cards with the slabbers tomorrow so I can sell them in peace.